Monday, May 5, 2008

Some of my experiences as a Private Billionaire Chef

As a private chef I have had some exciting experiences. On a given day I could be swimming in the blue blue waters of the Carribbean Sea at 9am in the morning; grilling mahi mahi with pineapple/pepper salsa for lunch on an open patio overlooking the ocean and then flying on a Gulfstream enroute from the French West Indies to New York. Next, shopping on Madison Avenue by 6pm for a cozy fireside dinner served by 9pm. All in a day's work for the private chef. I learned to go through the steps of my work in my mind ahead of time not only in making a menu, but also including a detailed list of all the ingredients needed to prepare the meal. There's no time to run out at last minute for a forgotten spice or herb. For dinner to be an hour behind schedule just won't do. Cooking on a yacht requires a huge block of time for laying in the stores and if I forget a critical item, you can bet I'll be changing the menu. I see myself preparing each dish as I'm walking through the open air markets choosing the vegetables that are available for that location-if they have been flown in from Europe or USA that day. If not I might have to grill mangos instead. I've lingered at the checkout area and bent my ear to the local womens conversations about what and how they were cooking that day. I might have to barter with a fisherman directly from his boat in a language I don't understand or shop with currency that I did not convert into dollars in my mind quickly enough. No doubt that is how I have gotten some incredibly great deals. By the time I actually get to the kitchen and fire up the grill it's like I've already cooked and mentally tasted the meal ahead of time so I can relax and enjoy the view, the guests, the night. Like I said, it's all in a day......................... Are you a Lighthouse or a SearchLight?

No comments: